STAND FOR THE SILENT
STAND FOR THE SILENT (SFTS) - Coyote Chapter
In May 2015, the Edens/Williams pod at Cyd Lash Academy, a public therapeutic high school, located in Gages Lake, IL had the opportunity to hear Kirk Smalley speak about his son, Ty Smalley, a victim of bullying. Ty Smalley took his own life at the age of eleven after being suspended from school for retaliating against a bully that had been bullying him for over two years. Mr. Smalley explained that a group of students from Oklahoma State University- Oklahoma City started the Stand For The Silent (SFTS) organization in 2010 after learning of Ty’s death to end bullying and stand for those that can not. Mr. Smalley’s story was so powerful and impactful that our students voiced a desire, almost a need, to begin our own chapter. In September 2015, we were honored to be recognized as an official chapter within the SFTS organization.
The SFTS Coyote Chapter’s mission is to stand together not as individuals but as a group to empower others to not be bystanders to bullying. We will demonstrate this by caring about other people’s feelings and protecting victims by speaking up when one sees bullying in any form. We will share psycho-educational anti- bullying materials in varied formats to both students and staff in educational settings.
The SFTS Coyote Chapter’s intent is to meet at least twice monthly to explore the impact bullying has on children. We will wear our SFTS t-shirts every other Friday to raise awareness of our chapter and encourage discussions about ways to reduce bullying in the school setting. Our meetings will consist of discussing, planning and implementing goals and objectives related to Stand For The Silent. We will use group time to design posters to display at our school, plan talks with other schools, raise funds for our chapter and the SFTS organization (pizza, nachos, cookies, valentine’s day, candy cane sale), have a specific art therapy group to focus on making an anti-bullying book that can be read to elementary school students, call other chapters and learn what they have done, send emails to educational facilities about our chapter, have assemblies at our school and later other schools, develop our own website, participate in morning announcements, make anti- bullying videos, and develop a quarterly newsletter to be sent home to parents and students.
SFTS Coyote pledge:
“From this day forward, I promise to respect those around me as well as respect myself. I am somebody and I can make a difference. I can make another feel loved. I can be the helping hand that leads another back to the path of hope and aspiration. I will not stand silent as others try to spread hatred through my community. Instead, I pledge to lift up those victims and show them their life matters. I will be the change because, I am somebody.”
The SFTS Coyote Chapter’s motto is Keep Calm and Stand For The Silent
Sponsor: Stacey Gottlieb, LCSW
Co- Sponsors: Kim Eden, Teresa McCabe
Publicity: Stacey Gottlieb
Programs: Stacey Gottlieb
Projects: Stacey Gottlieb
Fall 2016 Coyote Chapter President: Barron
Fall 2016 Coyote Chapter Vice President: WIll
Fall 2016 Coyote Chapter Secretary: Vacancy
Fall 2016 Coyote Chapter Treasurer: Travis
- GI Joe Cookie Fundraiser Fall 2015
- Valentine’s Day Soda Fundraiser Winter 2016
- House Fire Fundraiser Spring 2016
- Volunteered at Bernie’s Books 2016
- Volunteered at Veteran Administration Hospital 2015-2016
- Volunteered at Orphans of the Storm 2015
- Volunteered at Equestrian Connection 2015
- Volunteered at the Northern Illinois Food Bank 2015
- Opened a bank account to keep track of fundraising for transparency
- SFTS T-shirt sale at CLA’s Open House September 2016
- Development of website and donation page for both local chapter and link to the national organization Fall 2016
- Viewing of the movie Listen to staff at Cyd Lash Academy
- A group is in the process of developing Anti- Bullying children’s books with discussion questions to facilitate learning of how not to be a bystander and healthy ways to deal with bullying behaviors. Assistance from our wonderful teachers, Kim Eden and Bob Williams, as well as our amazing art teacher/ art therapist, Brian Sonders has been invaluable to this process.
- CLA Stand For The Silent School Climate Survey was conducted. Our chapter received the results in early January 2016. We are currently looking at areas of concern and ways to address these concerns with the school administration.
- Viewing on the movie listenthemovie.com to students and community
- Present at local or national conference regarding SFTS and our local chapter
To learn more about SFTS national chapter, go to http://www.standforthesilent.org/
To learn more about our local chapter, you can contact Stacey Gottlieb at email@example.com
To report bullying, go to this LINK